Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Mushroom Ragoût

Last night's dinner was something I found in a new vegetarian cookbook that I bought recently. It's definitely new for me and is not something I would typically make probably because it's primarily mushrooms. But it turned out really well! 

So first, a quick definition for you: ragoût is a main-dish stew that comes from the French word ragoûter, meaning "to revive the taste." And I've got to say that, for someone who finds mushrooms rubbery and kind of bland at times, the meaning of the base word actually applies to this recipe! It was delicious!

So, now to get to it! Happy cooking!


What You Need:

  • 2/3 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion
  • small brown mushrooms
  • 2 tsp basil leaves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash of black pepper
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • medium pot
  • parsley for garnish
  • blue cheese for garnish

How To Do It:
First, heat butter and oil in medium pot to medium heat. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms, and basil to pan; season with salt and pepper. Cover saucepan and cook for 10 minutes, without stirring. Remove the lid, increase heat to high and add wine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes more, or until mushrooms are tender. Serve with brown rice, and garnish with blue cheese crumbles and parsley flakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment