Friday, March 13, 2015

Break Time!

Clearly, I have not posted in a long time...mea culpa... But, I am back to it now after a break from new recipes and cooking in general. I was back in Ohio for a short visit last week and didn't do any cooking, then I got sick so I really wasn't up for cooking, and now I'm back to it! But first, I thought I would shine some light on a few "local" businesses I ate at while in the Buckeye State. Some of these restaurants can only be found in the Midwest and some of them you may not have heard of at all but I enjoyed every one of them and I want to share my experiences with you so you can try them out! 


My first stop on my trip (and pretty much anytime I go to Ohio) was Fiesta Tropicana. Located on Memorial Drive in my hometown of Lancaster, this Mexican restaurant is family-owned and operated and headed up by Chico who is the nicest restaurateur you could hope to meet! The restaurant was formerly known as Fiesta Mexicana but the name changed a few years ago; however, locals still know it as merely "Fiesta." 


When you stop by, make sure you don't fill up on the addictive chips and salsa that are gratuitous because your meal is going to be huge, I guarantee it! I know it will be rough to pull yourself out of your salsa coma when your food arrives and you'll probably already be too full to eat it, but you have to give it a try because it's the best Mexican food you'll find in town. If you're of drinking age, I highly recommend any of the margaritas (numerous flavors are available) or one of the imported Mexican beers.

The meals are very large so I'll warn you now that you will probably need a to-go box by the end but every bite is worth the tiny bill you will pay at the end. I recommend trying the fajitas, they are incredible, and the enchiladas and chimichangas are great also. I had a vegetarian meal which consisted of a cheese enchilada, bean tostada, and rice. I'll also recommend the guacamole and the queso dip which are both so creamy you'll want to eat them forever!


Before you stop here though, be sure to check out my favorite place on Memorial Drive, right across the street from Fiesta, Slater's Hardware. Not just a hardware store, this is a classic mom-and-pop shop that has everything from antiques to model airplanes to hardware and paint. You'll be hard-pressed to walk out empty handed, whether you found a cool antique or you smelled the fresh, free popcorn on your way out the door! Check it out and say hi to all my old friends there!


This is a "fun, casual joint" that serves up some awesome chicken wings! Originating in Ohio, this franchised restaurant has since spread to Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia. I know that most people like Buffalo Wild Wings (BW3's) and I do too, but Rooster's is probably my favorite for real chicken wings and great sauce. The Lancaster location can be found on Memorial Drive (obviously a popular road for restaurants in Lancaster) but I also recommend the Circleville, Ohio location also! 


I recommend any of the wings and my favorite sauce is probably the Carolina Gold or just the classic Mild sauce. My meal when I visited though was a buffalo chicken sub and curly cheese fries. The sub had chicken tenders covered in Rooster's Mild sauce, provolone cheese, lettuce, and I also had blue cheese dressing. I highly recommend those curly fries because if you're gonna go for it, you might as well go all out, right?


Cardo's Pizza & Pasta: Circleville, OH

This little pizza place is located in good old Roundtown and has great pizza and pasta! I've had the taco salad, I've had the subs, but on my latest trip, I tried out the cheese ravioli and it was so good! The sauce was one of the better I've tasted and the raviolis were really good. Definitely try it out if you find yourself in Circleville (especially if you're going to the Pumpkin Show in late October).


Buckeye Station: Stoutsville, OH

Right in the middle between Amanda and Circleville, you'll find Stoutsville, Ohio and the Buckeye Station. Yes. It is a gas station. But behind the gas station and convenience store façade, you'll find some great food! At the back of the property is a side door leading into the Buckeye Station restaurant. There you'll be welcomed by the bartender and a menu of delicious pizzas and subs named after the Big 10 teams.

 























You'll also find the chili. A seasonal menu item, it was my lucky day that they had it because my cold was just starting and I needed something to warm me up! The Buckeye Station's chili did the trick and it was so good! I also had the fish sandwich (otherwise known as the Maryland) which I didn't snap a picture of, sorry. But it was definitely good! I'd also recommend the pizza and the BBQ wings!


Ale House 1890: Lancaster, OH

Formerly known as the Minute Bar, this bar and restaurant re-opened as Ale House 1890, or AH 1890, in July 2014 on Main Street in Lancaster. I went here with a group of close friends from high school while I was on my food tour of home and I fell in love! I had been to the Minute Bar before and like the atmosphere but it was a small, cramped space that did need a slight update. Now, it's a sleek restaurant with the bar still intact and offering 30 to 50 craft beers as well as bistro burgers and flatbread pizzas. 


I opted for the Black and Bleu Burger which came with a side of french fries. I would highly recommend this to any first-timer at Ale House. It was delicious! My friends also recommended the Margarita Pizza and the Pecan-Crusted Chicken. After dinner, we had dessert (of course) and were offered a candied pecan caramel cheesecake which did not get photographed because it was too good to even look at. Therefore, it had to disappear from my plate as quickly as possible! 


I totally recommend that you try out Ale House if you live in the area. It's great food for a reasonable price and an amazing atmosphere. 

Wine and Canvas: Columbus, OH

Now, this is not a restaurant but I still want to give it a shout-out because I had such a great time I think anyone should try it out. This is a painting class that also incorporates liquid encouragement. Before you panic, I am not an artist in the least sense of the word but I can do this, especially with that liquid courage... My sister, mom, close friend, and I went here for a fun night out and I really think y'all should consider it! They have many different locations so just look and see if there's one near you but we went to the Columbus location and had a great time.


They do offer snacks, drinks, wine (of course), and they give you everything you need for your night of artistry. All you have to do is bring a fun attitude and you're sure to have a blast! Our paintings turned out beautifully, if I say so myself, and we all had a great time! The instructors walk you through the steps with easy to follow instructions and are always willing to help out if you need it. It's always fun to see how everyone's different personalities play out in the works of art we go home with.


Well, there you have it! You've been on a food tour with a local and I hope you try out all of the places I mentioned. Don't be intimidated at first glance, some of the places look a little "too local" but you'll be welcomed into every one with open tables and leave with full bellies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment