Friday, March 13, 2015

Pizza Margherita

Now that I'm back into cooking, I wanted to try something a little different. When Hubby and I were in Italy last spring, we had the best pizza margherita I think I could have hoped for. Being myself, I wanted to try to make one. So I did! Say hello to Pizza Jen-erita...Okay...I'll work on the name...


A little different from the one we had in Italy, but still looking good, right? I may be biased but come on, you have to admit you want a huge slice of this awesome looking pizza! This is a very easy recipe and meal to make. Yes, it takes more time than opening a can of pizza sauce or just ordering out, but I guarantee anyone will love this pizza and appreciate the homemade aspect of it!

Pizza Margherita from Milan, Italy

I was watching Rachael Ray a couple weeks ago and she made this pizza from a chicken breast, tomatoes, cheese, and basil and I wanted one so badly! So tonight I decided to try my hand at it. The recipe for the sauce is from me with a little Rachael Ray instruction thrown in and the dough I didn't make. But if you're making your own dough, I have a great recipe here that is Hubby-approved!

What You Need:

  • 1 pizza crust
  • 1 lb. cherry tomatoes
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
  • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 Tbsp. oregano
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • mozzarella cheese
  • basil leaves
How to Do It:

I did not make my own crust, as you can see above, but again, click here to get a great pizza dough recipe.


In a saucepan, combine whole tomatoes, halved garlic, and diced onion. Cover with three tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of oregano. Stir and cover, allowing to cook over medium heat until tomatoes burst. 


Stir the sauce occasionally so as not to burn the tomatoes. When the tomatoes are burst and the sauce has taken a good form, cover your pizza crust with your fresh sauce. Add mozzarella slices and bake on 425°F for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese has begun to brown slightly. Remove from heat and cover with basil leaves.


Serve hot and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment