Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Brazilian-Style Hot Dogs

Okay. You may have seen the title of this post and thought to yourself, "Brazilian-style? How can there be such a difference in how to make a hot dog?" I'm here to tell you that there is a HUGE difference in how us Americans eat hot dogs and how the Brazilians eat hot dogs. It used to be I thought "hot dog" and I pictured this:

Photo courtesy of the Berks Packing Company

Well. This is great and all. Especially if you're in New York where you can get a hot dog on almost every corner. Or even Chicago for that matter where they put a whole pickle slice on the thing! But I'm telling you, the Brazilians know how to do a hot dog, buddy. I mean, when you think of a hot dog, what goes with it? Potato chips or french fries, right? Yep. It's on a Brazilian hot dog. So I'll just go into my usual list now to show you what you need for a Brazilian-style hot dog and I'll let you be the judge of whether you will try one of these at home.


What You Need:
  • hot dogs
  • bread (like french bread or Portuguese rolls, not buns)
  • tomato sauce
  • whole kernel corn
  • sweet peas
  • mashed potatoes (not pictured)
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • potato sticks (like the kind French's makes)
  • mozzarella cheese
How to Do It:

If you're like me, you probably grew up eating boiled hot dogs, right? Well this is the same thing only instead of cooking the hot dog in water, you cook it in tomato sauce instead. I added a little basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to my tomato sauce to really give it a little something extra. When the hot dog is cooked, slice it in half lengthwise and place on the bread. Spoon in some of the extra tomato sauce then cover with your favorite toppings from the list above. The only thing I didn't have on my hot dog was mashed potatoes which is something you'd typically find on a Brazilian hot dog but I didn't have any nor did I want to waste time making enough mashed potatoes for one hot dog.

Anyways, super easy and convenient and if you're looking for a little something than the generic ketchup and mustard, this is definitely the way to go! Come bem!

No comments:

Post a Comment