Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Valentine's Day Dinner for Two

For Valentine's Day, Hubby and I had dinner at home which consisted of four courses. The first course was a salad of mixed greens, chopped pecans, and blue cheese crumbles topped with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Second course was a round of bruschetta on toasted bread, which I have made before on several occasions and always receive rave reviews on. The third course was a linguine with white sauce served with sautéed asparagus and a glass of chardonnay. The fourth and final course was a box of chocolate-covered strawberries made earlier by the two of us.

Our dinner was not as fancy as some of the dinners I hope my readers enjoyed but it suited us very well and we didn't have to worry about making last-minute reservations at chic New York restaurants (phew)! Also, it was just fun to have time together in the kitchen. Cooking has always been something the two of us enjoy doing together and this Valentine's Day we got to rediscover that as we cooked (then ate) our way through a four course dinner.

Although these dishes are all easy to prepare, we took our sweet time making each element and it really made our dinner stand out as one of the better ones we've had this year. The two biggest parts of our dinner were the bruschetta and the linguine, both of which I have included the links to so you can find them easily. The salad is too simple to warrant a post of it's own so I'll just outline it: select a salad of mixed greens, crumble some blue cheese over top with chopped pecans as well. Any kind of fruity salad dressing will go well with this salad, although I prefer using fresh strawberries in my salad as well then tossing with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The chocolate-covered strawberries are also too simple for a post of their own. All that needs done there is melted chocolate, milk chocolate is best in my opinion and you can melt chocolate chips in the microwave, and washed strawberries. My only advice is to allow the strawberries to dry before coating them in the melted chocolate. This will help the chocolate to stick to the fruit better.

I hope everyone of you had as splendid a Valentine's Day as Hubby and myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment