Yesterday's lunch was a delicious black bean veggie burger, the recipe I got from here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/. I'm not kidding you, it was awesome. I did make a few of my own changes to suit my tastes but the general idea is the same. I paired it with some sweet corn on the cob and iced tea. So, onto it!
What You Need:
- 1 16oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red pepper, coarsely cut
- 1 small red onion, coarsely cut
- 2 small cloves garlic, halved
- 1 egg
- 1 packet Goya sázon
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs*
- food processor
- large bowl
- colander
- paper towels
-skillet
- oil
* Plain breadcrumbs work nicely because the flavor of seasoned breadcrumbs could be a bit too overpowering. Also, in hindsight, 3/4 cup may be a better measurement as my burgers were falling apart too easily for me to be completely happy with the 1/2 cup measurement.
How to Do It:
First, drain and rinse the black beans in a colander and let them dry for a bit. While they are drying, place your cut veggies into the food processor and chop them up. When they are good and chopped, transfer the beans to a large bowl and place a paper towel in the colander. Dump the contents of the food processor into the paper towel-lined colander and you should end up with a gooey mess looking like this:
Next, mash up those beans! I used a potato masher but a fork works just as well, only it's a bit tough to do if you're not used to it.
After you're mashed, chopped and drained, you're ready to mix the two together.
Mix everything together well and set aside. Next, whisk your egg into submission and add the packet of sázon that you picked up from the market. I also recommend a little dash of salt and pepper.
Once your mixture is good and mixed, add that to the bean and veggie mixture you set aside earlier. Mix everything together well.
Now it's time to add the bread crumbs. As I said earlier, I think 3/4 cup is a better.
Now you should mix everything together and it will become a solid-like paste.
You're ready to start making patties! Mine were a bit bigger than my palm because we were using bread that was too big for a small patty.
Put a small amount of oil in your skillet, and let it get hot, then add the patties.
Flip them when they're browning and add cheese when you remove them if you like.
Finally, enjoy!




.jpg)







This was so delicious
ReplyDelete