Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fall Vegetable Curry

Tonight's dinner is an Indian comfort food that I found warm and delicious. A perfectly inviting dish that can warm your soul as well as your mouth (if you make it too spicy, you could burn your mouth...). As usual, I have a habit of changing recipes to suit what ingredients I have on hand or personal taste.

There are many different types of curry, including "wet" or "dry" curry, but the main ingredients are typically spices, herbs, and fresh or dried chillies. Curry dishes can be anywhere from yellow colored, orange, red, or brown, depending on the types of spices used in the dish. Being a Western notion, curry powder (what I use in my curry dishes) is a commercially prepared mixture of spices dating back to the 18th century (that's the 1700-1800s, folks)!


What You Need:
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 small onion, peeled and diced
  • 1 small cauliflower
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained

How to Do It:

First, heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato, sauté for 3 minutes. 


Decrease heat to medium. Add onion, cauliflower, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. 


Add vegetable broth, salt, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. 


I didn't have any but it's always nice to garnish curry dishes with a sprig of cilantro. Serve with white rice (I prefer jasmine). If the heat of curry really gets to you, I have learned that plain yogurt can help with your burning tongue.




Credit where credit is due, click here for original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment