Monday, September 29, 2014

Hummus

Today for a light snack, I made hummus. I LOVE hummus! Always have. Typically I would use a recipe that my husband found someplace and actually turns out pretty good. However, to make things go faster (his recipe requires you to pressure cook the chickpeas), I bought a 15.5 ounce can of chickpeas. The recipe I am using I have tweaked a bit to suit my tastes. Also, tahini oil is freaking expensive so forget that. I found that peanut butter has essentially the same effect.


What You Need:
  • 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • juice of 3 limes
  • 3 Tbsp. chickpea water from can
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • paprika and olive oil for garnish

How to Do It:

First, remove 3 tablespoons of the water from the chickpea can and set aside. Drain chickpeas of the excess water, do not rinse. Add chickpeas and garlic to a food processor and chop for about 30 seconds. Scrap the sides of the food processor and add peanut butter, olive oil, and lime juice. Chop again for about 30 seconds. Scrap the sides again and add chickpea water. Puree for 15 seconds and scrap sides again. Add salt and paprika and puree for 15 more seconds. Garnish with paprika and olive oil and serve with fresh vegetables or pita bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment