Wednesday, January 14, 2015

10 Best Meals of 2014

As a new year has already started, I thought I would compile a list of the best meals I had in 2014. Some of these meals I found online, some came to my imagination, and still others were made for me in restaurants I visited. Make sure to try out as many of these dishes as you can! You may find them in restaurants or cook them yourself. Or if you find yourself in Europe, be sure to check out the dishes I mention that in the list.

10. Pesto Spaghetti - Milan, Italy



Starting out as a blogger in May of 2014, I was searching for new ideas to try out. I searched so far as to go to Europe and try the cuisine of 5 different countries! Many of my European meals were delicious but this dish stood out above many of the rest (as far as Italy goes). In fact, this dish actually inspired me to learn how to make my own pesto sauce so that I could recreate the delicious-ness of Italy at home!

9. Mushroom Ragoút



In July, my husband became a full-fledged vegetarian so I really had to dig for new ideas. I bought a vegetarian cookbook and found this recipe. I was very weary of trying this particular dish, because I had a deep aversion to mushrooms, but when I smelled it cooking, I couldn't resist it! I added blue cheese for a strong flavor that would compliment the taste of the mushrooms and boy did it work out!

8. Black Bean Burgers



In the middle of August, I tried a black bean burger and thought to myself: "I will never again enjoy a ground beef hamburger." I was wrong, of course (there is a restaurant in nearby Hoboken called Bareburger that is just amazing as far as burgers go), but I still order black bean burgers when I can. They are so good! So I clearly had to try to make my own and succeeded with these delicious patties that I've made again and again and again.

7. Hearty Vegetable Soup



A recipe I made up myself, this soup first appeared in September, a big cooking month for me. I was cold, the soup was warm, the rest is history. This is now one of my fall favorites. We love eating this with any kind of warm sandwich or just with crackers for a light lunch.

6. Lasagna



While having my in-laws in town during December, I used my Bobby Flay Lasagna Pan for the first time since I got it for my wedding. I had never made lasagna before (besides Lasagna Roll-Ups) and my first lasagna turned out great! This was so delicious and the whole family loved it. I will definitely be making this again and again.

5. Arroz con Pollo



This is something I made a long time ago when I was in Spanish class. Although, now that I am a better cook, it turned out a lot better. We really liked it and this is going to have to be a regular for when we have people over for dinner. A definite crowd pleaser, this dish is an easy one to make if you want to try it out.

4. Fish and Chips - London, England


The George Inn, Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce and Smashed Peas
The Laughing Halibut, Cod Bites and Chips with Salad
While on our European trip, we visited London where my husband's cousin took us to a great little pub called The George Inn to try real fish and chips. We also had cod bites and chips at another restaurant called The Laughing Halibut. Both were delicious and if you ever find yourself in London, try out one of these two restaurants. They are both amazing and you have to get fish and chips!

3. Vegetable Pad Thai



This is a favorite of mine that I first tasted at a restaurant in Pickerington, Ohio called Thai Paradise. It is a really delicious dish. It can be a little difficult to make for your first time if you're not used to rice noodles. I had so much trouble making pad thai the first time because the noodles got a bit too mushy. But now, I've made it enough that it has become much easier to make.

2. Chicken Stroganoff



This dish was fun to learn how to make from my sister-in-law in December while she was visiting. It's one of my favorite dishes that she makes when I visit Brazil and has been a favorite of mine since I tried it the first time at Giraffas. I always have chicken stroganoff when I visit Brazil, whether it be homemade by my sister-in-law or from Giraffas. 

1. Roasted Red Pepper Pesto




My favorite dish of the year 2014 was this recipe that was inspired by my first taste of pesto in Italy. My husband and I both enjoyed it so much, we actually got a bit tired of it because I made it way too often. Although we haven't had it in a really long time, I am ready to make it again. This is something that is so easy to make and tastes great on any type of pasta or even just on fresh bread. Always an impressive dinner, I love making this for new guests because it shows off cooking skills that looks fancy but is actually incredibly easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment