This past weekend, because it was a glorious three-dayer, my husband and I made a pilgrimage to Washington, D.C. to see Julia Child's kitchen at the Smithsonian. I first fell in love with Julia Child when I watched the movie Julie & Julia
then read the novel, Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously,
by Julie Powell. I've been to the Smithsonian before and I saw Julia Child's kitchen then also. This time though, I am a cook. I know how to cook, I enjoy cooking, and I consider myself a cook. So I hold a soft spot for Mrs. Child because she started to learn how to cook when she first got married also.
 |
| The newest Smithsonian exhibit featuring Julia's kitchen. |
I've learned a lot about Julia Child since my obsession has started. She learned to cook at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, France when she and her husband moved there in 1948. After several more moves, the couple moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts and Paul Child designed a kitchen to suit his wife's height. The kitchen eventually became the backdrop of her television series.
 |
| Cookbooks, Travel books, and Videos of her show |
 |
| Her pots and pans were reunited with the kitchen in 2009 |
Now that I've renewed my love of Julia Child (again) I plan on trying out a few of her more famous recipes in the next few months. I can only hope that one day, I will be as good a chef as Mrs. Child. But, until that time comes, "Bon Appétit!"
No comments:
Post a Comment