Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Stuffed Peppers

Tonight's dinner was stuffed peppers. I've made these before in a Crock-Pot® at my parents' house. But the following recipe is made in the oven instead so you get a toasted pepper as well. The Crock-Pot® recipe involves a lot more tomato juice than this recipe from Blue Apron.



The peppers get perfectly softened in the oven and can look so impressive when plated. 

What You Need:


  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 3 red bell peppers
  • 10 oz. tomato juice
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • parsley
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
How to Do It:

First, cook the rice according to package instructions. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic, set aside. Cut the tops off the peppers (reserve for later) and scoop out the ribs and seeds.


Next, in a large skillet, cook ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, breaking up with a spoon, and add in garlic and onion. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally.


Stir in the tomato juice and ketchup. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat. 



Add half the parmesan cheese and some parsley. Stir until combined and season with salt and pepper to taste.


Add the cooked rice and stir to coat rice completely.


Stuff the inside of the peppers with the meat filling, you will have meat leftover. Cover the pepper with the pepper tops and place in a baking dish. 


If they don't stand up by themselves, trim the round edges on the bottom. Roast in the oven on low for 13-15 minutes, or until softened, cooked through, and a little charred on the outsides. Be careful to not badly burn the peppers.

Divide the extra meat between the plates. Place a stuffed pepper on top and garnish with remaining parmesan and parsley. Enjoy!



Having this meal reminded me so much of eating dinner at my parents' house. I can remember not liking these when I was young but now I just can't get enough. I used to hate anything involving tomato flavor (except ketchup, of course, but that doesn't even taste like tomatoes). So I was a really picky eater as a kid, but now that added flavor really makes these the best.

If you've never heard of Blue Apron, you get three meals mailed to you for a fee and it includes most everything you need to cook them yourself. The meals are always impressive looking like this meal and others I've made before like the Fish Tacos. The instructions are always easy to follow and you will enjoy making things you typically wouldn't try out. 

Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment